Friday, November 19, 2010

Car-free in Atlanta for a Year


Atlanta is my old stomping grounds so this video from CNN's Urban Planet by Chris Hrubesh drew my attention. Hrubesh writes:

"My first big change toward "greener" living was my purchase of an early 1900s loft less than a mile from CNN. Ditching my automobile has been one of the best decisions I have ever made, despite some of the challenges. Without a car payment, insurance, gas or maintenance, I save at least $300 to $500 a month, even after I factor in car rentals and bike maintenance. I have lost and kept off 10 pounds of weight since I made my lifestyle switch and I have made many new friends that choose to pedal instead of drive. I exchanged my coveted parking spot at work for a free gym membership and five monthly round-trip passes on Atlanta's mass transit system. CNN gives this, as well as other perks, to employees who walk or ride a bike to work. To me, this deal was a "no brainer" and I took the bait."

If you have ever ridden a bike in parts of the South (major car country) you will understand how impressed I am with this guy taking the lane! I also LOVE that Atlanta has Zipcar now. Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment