Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cars make us weak


Image from Change Your Life, Ride A Bike
I rode home from the District last night and it was a mild, breezy, beautiful night. I cycled all around town yesterday running errands and it was more difficult physically than I thought it would be, but that is what 3 months without regular cycling will do for ya. Even with all the walking I did over the summer--working out 5 days a week--I still panted uphills and felt really tired when I got home. I am convinced that walking on a treadmill is nothing like cycling up *real* hills with 40 lbs or more of stuff. I am always amazed at how my blood pounds and how alert I feel--very different than doing all those same errands in a car.

Cars DO make us weak. I am always reminded when I am on the bike of all the stuff you miss when driving a car: The human contact (total strangers waving and stopping to talk to me), the realization that I can only go where I have the physical fitness to propel myself, the need to pay attention to those around me which, rather than being limiting, opens up a whole other world. Cars just make us think we are free. They mask our physical weakness, encourage us to remain within a cage that puts distance between us and other people, and encourages us to be wasteful on every level.

Food for thought :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment